Rajasthani food is incomplete without the mention of amazing platter of Dal-Baati and Churma. It feels amazing to have it on a cold evening for dinner. The best thing about this recipe is, it is enjoyed by all class of population , be it the peasant farmers or the royalty!
chana dal / split gram – 1/4cup
toor dal – 1/4 cup
moong dal / split with skin – 1/4 cup
urad dal / split black lentil with skin – 1/4 cup
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
ginger grated – 2 tsp
salt – 2 tsp
coriander powder (dhania) – 1 tsp
mango powder (amchoor) – 2 tsp
garam masala – 1/2 tsp
clarified butter (ghee) – 3 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
asafetida (hing) – 1/8 tsp
chili powder – 1/2 tsp
dried red chili – 2
1 cup whole wheat flour (roti ka atta)
1/4 cup fine sooji (semolina)
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup clarified butter (ghee)
1/2 cup milk use as needed
- Combine all dals, wash in water few times. In a pressure cooker add dal with 4 cups of water, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, and ginger, cook on medium high.
- Cook for 10-15 mins , turn off the heat and wait until all the steam has escaped before opening the cooker.
- Add garam masala and amchoor, mix it well.
- Heat ghee in a small saucepan once ghee is moderately hot add cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, red chilies turn of the heat add red chili powder stir for a few seconds. To prevent the spices from burning, you may add 1 teaspoon of water. Pour it over daal. Mix it well and let it simmer for two to three minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients together, flour, sooji, salt and baking soda. Add the ghee and mix with fingers, add the milk as need to make firm dough, knead the dough well. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and roll in your hands to form balls. Balls wilth cracks all over will help them to cook all the way through. Deep fry it in oil for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- For churma break one bati in to small pieces with hands and blend in a mixer in to fine powder , add Jaggery and powdered sugar and mix well.
Break the bati into two pieces and pour the daal over it and add about one teaspoon of hot melted ghee / butter and serve hot with churma