I come from a Gujarati Family and this dish has been my favorite gujarati breakfast dish, so I tried it one day for my husband who is a bengoli and he loved it, so I thought of sharing it so may be even non – gujratis and try this yummy recipe
Flour of chana dal, urud dal & rice – 2 cup (1:1:1 ratio)
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Veggies in the Batter
Bottle gourd (lauki/dudhi) – 1 cup (grated)
Green peas (optional) – 1/2 cup
Garlic – 2 cloves, smashed
Green chilli – 1 tsp smashed
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp smashed
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Lime juice – 1 lemmon
Tadka / Tempering
Mustard seeds (rai)
- Mix all the flour and add around 4 tbsp of curd and water. Mix it well.
- Keep aside the batter for fermentation for overnight ( 8 to 9 hrs)
- Add all the veggies in the batter, mix it well and add water if necessary.
- Take tablespoon of oil and add the mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Add a full curry leaves stick in the middle of the pan and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Before pouring the handvo batter in the pan mix it with baking soda and lemon juice to make the batter fluffy.
- Pour the batter in the pan / handvo cooker.
- If you are cooking in a pan, cook on both the side till it becomes nice and crispy on the top.
Serve it hot with tomato ketchup.