I come from a Gujarati Family and this dish has been my favorite Gujarati dish, so I tried it one day for my husband who is a Bengali and he loved it, since than I make it for all our friends , in-laws who come home and they now love it so much that whenever they come home they definitely want to have this dish.
Flour of chana dal, urud dal & rice – 2 cup (1:1:1 ratio)
Curd – 2 tablespoon
Water – 2 cups
Bottle gourd (lauki/dudhi) – 1 cup (grated)
ginger chilli paste – 2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp smashed
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Lime juice – 1 lemmon
Mustard seeds (rai)
- Soak the rice and daal mixture overnight and grid it the next day and let it ferment for 8-9 hours.
- Make sure the batter is thick.
- Add 2 tablespoon of curd to help in fermentation.
- Once the batter is nicely fermented add the grated Lauki , ginger-chilli paste, salt, lemon juice, sugar to the batter and mix well.Dont add any water because the grated lauki will leave some water in the batter.
- Now just before making the Handvo add the soda and whisk well.
- Heat 2 tablespoon Oil in a non-stick pan , once the oil is hot enough spread sesame seeds and mustard seeds in the pan.
- keep on curry leaves strand in the middle and now add the batter to the pan spead it slightly to make a medium thick round.
- Cover the pan and let it cook till it becomes golden and crispy on one side.
- Now flip it and cook it till it becomes crispy on the other side.
- Remove it in a serving plate and cut it like a pizza, have it with Chai in the morning or tomato ketchup for dinner.
Serve it hot with tomato ketchup.