I struggled a lot trying to make soft Idlis but Since the time my mother-in-law taught me how to make super soft Idli, I have started making it at least twice a week. Sometimes we even have it for dinner when we want to have something light. This is a no fail recipe…a must try for all south Indian food lovers.
- Urad Daal and Rice – 1:3 ratio
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Boiled rice / Poha – 1/2 cup
- Soak Urad daal and Rice in a separate container preferably over night.
- In a mixer blend soaked rice , urad daal and boiled rice.
- Remove the mixture and add water to make it semi thick.
- Cover the mixture and keep it in a dry and warm place for 8-9 hours to ferment.
- Now you can see the batter will be almost doubled and foamed.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Remove the batter in the idli mould and steam it for 10-12 minutes.
- Check if the idli is properly cooked by inserting a tooth pick inside, if it comes our dry it means its well cooked.
Serve it hot with Sambhar and Coconut chutney.