Patra / Patervelya / Colocasia Leaves – 10 to 15 small to median sized
Green chilli – 1 tsp smashed
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 & 1\2 cups
Salt – as per taste
Sugar / Grated Jaggery – as per taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Tamarind Pulp – 2 tsp
asafoetida (hing) – 1/2 tsp
Besan / Bengal Gram flour – 2 & 1/2 cup
Grated fresh coconut – 2 tsp
corriander leaves chopped – 2 tsp
Soda – 1\4 tsp (optional)
How to choose Patra / Patervelya / Colocasia Leaves ?
Patra / Patervelya / Colocasia Leaves should have dark green to blackish stem.
Tadka / Tempering
Mustard seeds (rai)
- Wash the leaves and dry it with a kitchen towel nicely.
- Remove the thick viens with the knife from the leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl (Green chilli ,Turmeric powder,Red Chilli powder,Curd ,Water,Salt,Sugar / Grated Jaggery,Oil,Tamarind Pulp,asafoetida (hing) ,Besan / Bengal Gram flour,Soda).
- Place one leave on the plate , apply the besan syrup all over the leaf evenly.
- Apply little besan mixture on another leaf and place it in on the first leaf with the tip in the opposite direction.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5.
- Roll the leaves from one end and keep on applying the syrup while rolling.
- Make as many rolls as you wish to.
- Steam the rolls for about half an hour.
- Let it cool for 15 – 20 mins.
- Cut the rolls in thin slices.
- Heat oil in a pan , add Mustard seeds (rai),Curry leaves,Sesame seeds,Asafoetida (hing) and patra slices.
- Toss and saute on a medium flame for some time.
Serve it hot with masala buttermilk / Tea / Tomato sauce