I’m not a big fan of karela but I made it specially for my husband from my moms recipe and he loved it. Its a very simple one and I hope you ll will try it too.
Besan – 1 and half cup
Bitter gourd / Karela – 4 (sliced and seeds removed from between)
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Chilly powder – 2 tsp
Corriander Powder – 2 to 3 tsp
Oil for stir frying
Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp (optional)
- Peel karela.
- Cut karela / bitter gourd in thin circular form and remove the seeds from it.
- Soak it in salt water for about 20 to 30 mins.
- Remove the karela pieces from the water and make sure you remove the water by pressing it nicely.
- Take enough oil in a pan and heat it.
- Add mustard and sesame seeds let it crackle.
- Add asafoetida and bitter gourd and stir fry it till it becomes crispy and shrinks in a bit.
- Till the time its getting cooked , take besan in another bowl add turmeric , chilly powder , corriander powder , salt , sugar and mix well.
- Sprinkle besan flour on the cripy karela and mix well so that it is evenly spread on all the karela pieces.
- Add 2 tsp of oil and spread it evenly.
- Cook it for 5 to 10mins , add poppy seeds in the end and mix well.
Serve it with hot fulka roti