Coming from a Gujju family , I have practically grown up having these dhoklas for breakfast , lunch and sometimes even dinner. My mother used to freeze the batter and store it in the freezer and whenever we asked for it she used to thaw it and prepare it instantly. I remember how me and my brother used to finish it so quickly. So this reciepe is from my mother.
Rice – 1 cup
urad dal/spilt and husked black gram – 1/4th cup
Salt – as per taste
Ginger – 2 tsp
Green Chilly – 4 to 5
Yogurt – 1/2 cup ( Sour yogurt preferred , if not available you can add 1 tsp lime juice)
Water – 1/4 th cup for grinding
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Soak Rice and dal/husked black gram in a separate bowl overnight or for 4-5 hrs.
- Rise it and grind it in a mixure by adding 1/4th to 1/2 cup water.
- Mix it properly, add yogurt and salt and let it ferment for another 6 to 7 hrs or overnight.
- Grind ginger and chillies in mixure (batter should be grainy so dont grind it for a long time).
- Add ginger and chilly paste in the batter and mix nicely.
- Grease you dishes in which you will be preparing dhokla with oil or ghee.
- Place the dish in the steamer or pot or pressure cooker, I had used my idli maker for steaming by removing the idli stand and placingmy dish on a stand in side the idli maker.
- After placing the dish inside pour the dhokla batter.
- Sprinkle red chilly , chat masala and Jeera (Cumin) powder on top.
- Close the lid and cook it for 10 to 15 mins according to the thickness of your batter in the dish.
- I had made a thin one , so it hardly took 5 mins for it to cook.
- Remove the dish carefully cut it with a knife horizontally and vertically remove it carefully with a spatula.
Serve it hot with corriander chutney