My husband loves stuffed okra so I thought of making it when his friends came over few days back for dinner and they all loved it, I had stored few stuffed okra in the fridge and cooked it the other day for tiffin my office friends also loved the sweet / spicy taste. So here is my mother’s Gujarati style recipe for stuffed okra / bharela bhinda.
Bhendi / Okra – 250 gm
Besan / Gram flour – 1 cup
Corriander powder – 2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – 2 tsp
Red chilly powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Amchur – 1 tsp (optional)
Tomato Ketchup / Tomato puree – 2 tsp
Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 tsp (optional)
- Mix Gram flour with all the ingredients (Corriander powder,Salt,Sugar,Red chilly powder,Turmeric Powder,Cumin Powder,Tomato puree,Amchur,Ginger & Garlic Paste) in a bowl. (You can dry roast the mixture in a pan with 1 tsp of oil but I didnt do it its optional )
- Make the stuffing spicy , as it will bring out the taste.
- Add 1 tsp of oil, mix it well.
- Stuff each Okra with the mixture by slitting it with knife.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan, add Cumin and Mustard add all the stuffed Okra and cook it on low flame with lid closed.
- In between open the lid and stir it, if required add 1 tsp of oil and sprinkle 1 tsp water in between.
- Add the remaining Gram flour left on the Okra when its fully cooked and sprinkle 1 tsp water and cook for 1 min.
- Do not add water while cooking.
- Wash and dry okra before using.
- Add a tsp of sugar for better taste.
- Choose soft , small and tender okras , never go for the big and hard ones.
Serve it hot with fulkas