There are days when you wish to have simple yet tasty and healthy food, so I thought of cooking a traditional maharashtrian dish varan bhaat for dinner last night. My husband loved it, and so I’m planning to make it ofen from now.
Toor dal / pigeon peas – ½ cup
Water – 1 ½ cups
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Asafetida or hing – a pinch
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Ghee or oil – 2 teaspoon (If you are a vegan you can use oil)
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Pour sufficient water in the pressure cooker.
- Load one separator with rice and another with Toor dal / pigeon peas with salt as per taste and one teaspoon of jaggery outside the pressure cooker.
- Adding jaggery gives altogether different taste to the dal, so its better not to replace it with sugar.
- Stack the separators on the stand. Close wire handles around stacked separators and fasten clamp.
- Place the separator set in the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 10 to 15mins.
- on another stove heat the ghee or oil in a small tempering pan , add cumin seeds and let them sizzle , add Asafetida and turn off the stove.
- Add red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Immediately pour the tempering in to the cooked Toor dal, if you dont pur it immediately then the red chilly powder will turn black.
- Mix it well.
Serve it hot with plain rice