There is a tradition in my family to make this churma ladoo during Ganesh festival as pooja prasad. So earlier my grandmother used to make it and now my mom makes it.So now since I’m home and Ganesh festival is here my mom made it for naivedhyam to lord Ganesha for the first day of Ganesh chaturthi. So Ganesh Chaturthi is incomplete without Lord Ganesh’s favourite Churma Laddus .In Gujarati we call it “churma na ladva”. This year ganesh chaturthi is starting on on 5th Sep 2016 and as usual will last for 10 days. I’m going to get the opportunity to see ganesh in mumbai as well as pune yayy. I love this festival because it brings a lot of colors and lights on the streets , at home & work places. You can see people welcoming you for ganesh pooja everyday , pandals on the roads with very soothing aarti / prayer every morning and evening and not to miss the variety of prasad we get to eat for the 10 days. 😀
The best part about this recipe is,the ingredients we use to make it are all easily available in our kitchen and can be made easily whenever required.
Coarsely grounded – 1 1/2 cup
Besan – 1/4 cup
Rava / Sooji – 1/4 cup
Oil1 – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Oil for frying
Jaggery – 1/3 cup
Powdered sugar – 1 1/2 tbsp
Nutmeg – 1/8 tsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp for garnish
Kismis – 1 tbsp
- In a large mixing bowl take whole wheat flour (coarsely grounded), besan (chickpea flour) and sooji / rava.
- Add 1 and 1/2 tbsp Oil and 1/2 cup warm water.
- Combine all ingredients and knead into dough.
- Now take a portion of wheat flour dough in hand and press it by making fist. Press hard and make Muthia shapes from dough.
- Deep fry muthia in a pan for 5 mins till it turns golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil on kitchen towel / paper napkin. Let the muthias cool down.
- Grind them in a food processor into fine powder. Sieve through a fine siever to remove big chunks.Re-grind the remaining chunks if required.
- Add the nutmeg powder in Churma mixture.
- Optionally you can also add dry fruits like kismis.
- Now melt ghee in a pan and add Jaggery for 2 mins.
- Pour the melted jaggery and ghee into Churma mixture. Add powdered sugar if necessary.
- As soon as you add the mixture to the churma nice aroma will start coming.
- Now make round ladoos by rolling in your hands or in a mold making nice spherical balls.
- Apply some poppy seeds (khas khas) and garnish the churma ladoo.
Churma ladoo is ready to serve