Last night my gas cylinder got over so I thought of making something easy on induction stove for dinner so the simpliest thing to make on induction is I could think of is masala rice.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
½ tsp black mustard seeds
Bay Leaf Indian / Tej Patta – 2
cumin seeds (jeera) – ½ tsp
green chili – 1
onion – 1
tomato – 1
asafoetida/hing – 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
red chili powder as per taste
garam masala powder – 2 tsp
coriander powder – ½ tsp
1 or 1.5 tbsp oil
salt as required
- Heat oil in pressure cooker add mustard seeds, bay leaf, asafoetida, cumin seeds, green chilli and cook for 1 min.
- now add the onion and tomatoes red chili powder, turmeric powder,garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt as per taste mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- add the rice and water and mix well.
- Cook it for 3 whistles of pressure cooker.
- Turn off the heat and do not open the lid; let the rice rest undisturbed for five minutes.
- You can also make it from left over rice, instead of cooking it in pressure cooker you can simply mix the cooked veggies in to the rice and mix well.
Serve the masala rice hot with raita or with a veg salad, pickle and papad.