This is the very first time I tried orange zest in cookies with crunchy poppy seeds and chocolate cips with a sharp taste of vanilla and I must say it’s a winning combination. The citrus flavour of the orange and the fresh fragrance makes you want to eat it more and more. The smell that comes while baking it is really amazing, makes it difficult to wait till its done.
poppy seeds – 2 tsp
butter, softened – 1 cup
sugar – 1 cup
grated orange peel – 4 tsp
vanilla essence – 2 tsp
all-purpose flour – 2 cups
baking soda – 1 tsp
salt – 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add in the orange peel and vanilla extract; beat well.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking soda,poppy seeds and salt.
- Mix in the flour mix into the creamed butter mixture and stir it until well combined.
- Scoop out tablespoonful of dough for each cookie, slightly flatten it and place it on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are browned lightly.
- Remove it from the oven and let the cooks remain in the pan for another 2-3 minutes
- Transfer the orange cookies from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely before storing it in a air tight container.