My absolute favourite Maharashtrian breakfast…simple yet delicious.
Thick poha (beaten rice) – 2 and ½ cups
Onions – 2 chopped
Potatoes – 2 chopped
Green chillies – 2 chopped
Fresh Coriander Leaves – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Fresh coconut – ½ cup (scrapped) (optional)
Lemon – 1 (optional)
Some raw peanuts (optional)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 strands
Asafoetida – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
- Wash pohe in running cold water, let is stand for 15minutes till all the water drains out completly.
- Heat 2 tblspoon of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds , curry leaves , asafoetida and green chillies.
- Add chopped potatoes and let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and salt and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile add turmeric powder to the well drained pohe and mix well.
- Now once the potatoes and onions are cooked well add the pohe , salt and sugar and mix well, stir and mix well.
Serve it hot with fresh corriander leaves and coconut.