Rasam is made with cooked, mashed dal and flavored with tomato, tamarind and few other spices. It is also known as Paruppu rasam since paruppu means dal in Tamil.
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes – 1 cup chopped
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Jeera / Cumin – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh corriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 5 to 6 leaves
- Garlic chopped – 3 cloves ( optional )
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Red chilly powder – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 pinch
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- In a pressure add 3-4 cups water, toor dal, turmeric powder,chopped tomatoes,tamarind pulp,pepper powder,garam masala and salt as per taste in the cooker and cook it till 3 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and crush the mixture to make it a smooth puree.
- For tempering add oil, once the oil is heated up urad daal and cook till it turns brown.
- Add cumin,mustard,dry red chilly, asafoetida,curry leaves and garlic.
- Add the tempering in to the puree and cook till it boils and gives out a nice fragrance.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with steam rice.