We often order in Mediterranean food over the weekends and the first time I had hummus was from a local restaurant in Pune. I often choose to have hummus with Pita bread or falafel because its not very spicy but yet it has that amazing taste which is completely different from our Indian food. Also chickpeas are very healthy and you can have hummus almost with everything…like a sandwich , falafel , nachos, pita bread , garlic bread etc. Also Hummus has Tahini sauce in it and its difficult to find in Indian markets so this recipie I have used one alternative to it and it turned out just too amazing.
- Soft cooked chickpeas – 1 cup
- salt as per taste
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
- Thick yogurt / Tahini sauce – 2 tablespoon
- Garlic cloves – 3 to 4
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- fresh coriander / fresh green garlic – 1 teaspoon
- finely chopped green chillies – 1 teaspoon
- Boil the chickpeas till the cover gets separated.
- Drain the water from the chickpeas and grind it in a mixture.
- Add thick yogurt yogurt or tahini sauce 1/2 cup to the mixture this makes it creamy and light.
- In a small pan heat 2 tablespoon olive oil add 3-4 garlic cloves and cook till it turns light brown and add it to the mixture.
- Now add salt, cumin & lemon juice and grind it once again to mix well.
- Remove the mixture in a bowl and garnish with olive oil, green chillies & fresh coriander / fresh garlic sticks. (It should be finely chopped.
- You can also garnish with slightly course powder of black sesame seeds and peprica.
Serve it with with your favorite veggies and Pita bread.