My family’s favourite – Punjabi Daal Makhani.
It’s so versatile that it tastes good with almost anything..you can have it with Jeera rice, naan, chapati..& because it’s sooo creamy you can also use it as a dip for your starters.
- Rajma & black urad daal full in 1:1 ratio – 2 cups
- Salt as per taste
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 3 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 2 teaspoon
- Elaichi powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Jeera – 2 teaspoon
- Malai / Cream / Butter – 1/2 cup
- Garam masala – 1 tablespoon
Recipe goes like this… 1. Soak one bowl of Rajma and full Urad in water overnight.
2. Pressure cook it next day for 4-5 whistles.
3. In a kadai add 2 tablespoon of butter…once it’s hot enough add Jeera, hing, ginger garlic paste and finely chopped onions.
4. Once the onions have turned slightly golden brown add tomatoes, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, cinnamon powder and cook until the masala leaves the kadai.
5. Now mash the cooked rajma & urad daal nicely and add it to the gravy.
6. Mix well and add atleast 1/2 cup malai or cream or butter and one cup of water.
7. Cook on slow flame for atleast 20mins…you will be able to see buttery texture of your daal.
8. Turn of the gas and your thick daal Makhani is ready
To give it a smokey flavour heat a small piece of charcoal place it in a small bowl and place that bowl in middle of your daal Makhani kadai now add ghee while the charcoal is hot and cover the kadai. The fumes coming out from the charcoal will give it a Smokey flavour.
For garnishing if you don’t have cream take your homemade malai in a bowl …beat it for 2mins and pour it over your bowl of Daal Makhani.
Also sprinkle Freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Eat healthy stay happy everyone!