Alu vadi is a very famous Maharashtrian dish. Alu means colocasia leaves and in monsoon they are most easily available in the market.
How to select good leaves:
The stem should be black and the leaves should NOT be velvet in texture.
- ginger-chilli paste
- red chili powder
- coriander powder
- besan / gram flour
- baking soda
- Arbi / Patra / colocasia leaves
- tamarind pulp
- In a bowl take 2 cups besan, add 1/2 cup tamarind water, salt, ginger chili paste, turmeric, Jaggery powder (2 tablespoon), red chili powder, coriander powder,water, a pinch of baking soda and mix well.
- Make sure the batter is thick and not very watery.
- Now let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile clean the leaves, dry then with a cloth and remove the stem.
- Now apply the mixture on the one leaf and place another leaf over it, make layer of 3-4 leaves and then roll it.
- Now steam these rolls for 15 minutes.
- Let the rolls cool down completely before cutting.
- Now deep fry it.
Enjoy Alu vadi !!